Sund & Bælt supports sustainable development and wishes to help meet the objectives which society sets for the environment and climate, by ensuring that traffic flow on the company’s facilities and its operations and maintenance are carried out in a manner that takes full account of the impact on the surrounding environment.
Sund & Bælt’s policy through proactive efforts is to prevent and minimise the environmental and climate impact of our activities.
This must be reflected in:
- That there are continuous and active efforts to reduce the environmental and climate impacts, carried out in a deliberate and controlled effort to create environmental awareness among employees and business partners;
- The exercise of a pro-active nature management, so that Sprogø is preserved as a unique natural area that also gives travellers a good visual experience when crossing the Storebælt link;
- That green areas are maintained for reasons of nature conservation;
- The application of a prudent approach where there is a risk of environmental impacts through the implementation of new activities;
- The support and development of environmentally friendly technologies and the introduction of these in operations, where it is beneficial for the company and financially feasible;
- The minimisation of the risk of environmental accidents caused by road users on the facilities, including through targeted information on weather and traffic conditions, through preventive operation and maintenance of road and rail facilities, an effective winter services programme and the use of traffic safety barriers during road and track work,
- The prevention of environmental accidents caused by the operation and maintenance of the company’s facilities, including requiring effective management of quality, environmental and working environmental efforts.
- The production of an annual report on the company’s environmental work, which is publicly available. This sets out the objectives and action plans for the coming year’s environmental initiatives.