As infrastructure owner, Sund & Bælt is focused on road safety. Our road safety policy commits us to making a proactive effort to prevent accidents at our facilities. We do this by analyzing and identifying all accidents in order to improve our transport facilities.
Sund & Bælt’s objective is that it should be at least as safe to drive on the motorway section across Storebælt and on the Øresund motorway as on Denmark’s other motorways. Both on Sund & Bælt’s motorways and on Denmark’s other motorways, the accident rate has remained at 0.01 accidents with serious injury per 1 million km driven.
Another objective is that it should be at least as safe to travel on Sund & Bælt’s rail sections as on the rest of the rail network in Denmark.
Safe transport facility
Sund & Bælt’s objective is for the company’s motorway sections to be open around the clock, throughout the year, and that traffic should flow smoothly and safely with a high level of service for road users.
Traffic accidents must be prevented through pro-active efforts so that it is at least as safe to drive on the company’s sections as on other motorway sections in Denmark.
This should be achieved through ensuring that:
- Weather and traffic conditions are constantly monitored and important information reaches road users in time, including by means of a well-functioning bridge messaging system;
- The design and maintenance of the transport facility, its maintenance and the company’s road operations and winter services effectively contribute to the prevention of accidents;
- All traffic accidents are analysed to detect any need for improvements in S&B’s administration and facilities;
- Sund & Bælt actively makes a difference to road users’ behaviour;
- Sund & Bælt gathers information on its customers’ views on road safety;
Moreover, as a leading transport company, Sund & Bælt’s view is that employees and partners take the lead in road safety work and demonstrate proper, safe and considerate behaviour in traffic when moving about in vehicles carrying Sund & Bælt – or Storebælt logos – or going about their duties on Sund & Bælt’s transport facility.